Veterans day parade 2017 is being presented by the Honoring Arizona’s Veterans (HAV) organization that has presented the annual Phoenix Veterans Day Parade 2017 for its 21st year in a row. This year it was held on Saturday, Nov. 11. Television and film actress Loretta Swit appeared in the parade as the Celebrity Grand Marshal. Swit is known for her role as the character Major Margaret Houlihan on the iconic TV series “M*A*S*H”.
The Video below is produced in HD so enlarge to full screen and make sure your speakers on turned on – Enjoy.
The theme for this year’s parade is “Silent Sacrifice,” honoring veterans of the 40-plus year long Cold War. Nearly 20 Cold War Veterans will be riding on a special float in the parade.
Spectators lined the streets to view the parade. Estimates have the number as high as 40 thousand people.
HAV president Aaron Dudney said, “The men and women who serve in our military face many unique challenges, and when they return they are a source of pride for us. We can never repay them for their service and sacrifice, so having an event, like this, shows the gratitude we have as a community for them. That, in turn, helps us to honor them, and that’s why Honoring Arizona’s Veterans puts on this event.”
Several Grand Marshals will also be featured in the parade with Swit, including:
- Harold Bergbower, World War II (former Prisoner of War)
- Melvin Brody, Korean War
- Larry Leighton, Vietnam War (Purple Heart recipient)
- Bernard O’Keefe, Cold War (8-time recipient of Meritorious Service Medal)
- John Scott, Desert Storm (Retired Major General, Bronze Star recipient)
- Raul Sanchez, Operation Enduring Freedom
- Richard Arnold, Operation Iraqi Freedom
- Carol Culbertson, Veteran Community
- Alan Powell, “AP,” HeroZona
- Craig Opel, Business Community
- Katie Schaaf, Arizona Pageant Queen
The Veteran’s Day parade started at 11 AM and lasted almost 3 hours with over 90 parade events participating. According to the official parade brochure, the features included:
- 14 Floats
- 12 Marching Units
- Seven Color Guards
- Eight novelty units
- Five bands
- Four large helium balloons, including Uncle Sam, the Bald Eagle, the Purple Heart and – new this year – the military service and HAV balloon.
- Dozens of military vehicles
- Animal entries
The video we produced for your viewing pleasure are highlights of the parade taken by the location by the Phoenix VA Healthcare Hospital on the 7th Street side toward the end of the parade route. Enjoy the highlights of the parade – It was a happy place and fun was had by all.
About Jeff Daley
The Veterans Day Parade 2017 can also be viewed on LuxuryValleyHomes.com